Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Why Faux for Fall/Winter?



   I must say I am biased on the subject of  the usage of animal skins/ feathers in fashion. I was a vegan for 6 years now i'm vegetarian. I honestly think from a fashion prospective that real animal skins often look tacky and outdated. In the view of an animal lover I dont agree with killing or raising an animal to skin it, pluck it, etc, for fashion reasons. Now as a Native American , I understand that animals are a part of our life cycle and so is the earth, we all should live in a harmonious balance. In other words when you kill an animal it's for survival and you use every bit of that animal for the community to survive. Their are many other groups of people who practice or have practiced this balance. It's unfortunate that most are animal skins are either illegally obtained or farmed but also in order to do this laws are broken, animals are becoming extinct, and deforestation in places such as in the Amazon.
   I know many of you fashionista's and fashioneto's think this is hippie non-sense but If haven't you tried faux leather or other imitation products how can you base an opinion. If nothing else it is more practical in the sense that it is affordable, is weather resistant, and ages better. Trust me when I say that I have a faux leather biker jacket from H&M it's 3 years old and still looks new as well as a faux fur vest that most people think is real fur and always compliment me on.
    We are a generation in the new technological era, lets stop are dated idea's on fibers and update them to fit the world we live in now.

+note: Their is a thing as fake feathers; fibers are the same as those to make fake hair. Usually a derivative of plastic!

Links to Faux Shopping!

Great Faux leather purses
Shoes
Everything (jackets, shoes, and bags)
Faux Fur Jackets

No comments:

Post a Comment